In a post on Facebook , the association said Ryan B. was put on mechanical ventilation and medication in an ICU after falling “critically ill from a drug exposure.” “Ryan attended an emergency scene call in Calgary where he had toxic exposure,” executive director Mark Moebis said Saturday. The paramedic is out of the ICU, however, ongoing organ dysfunction means he is still very sick. “The long-term effects are still unknown,” Moebis said. READ MORE: Alberta gives firefighters access to naloxone kits as fentanyl overdose deaths rise Alberta Health Services, along with Alberta Occupational Health and Safety (OHS), are investigating the incident, according to the vice-president of the Health Sciences Association of Alberta, the labour union which represents paramedics in the province. “We’re well aware of the incident and our staff are actively involved in this,” Trudy Thomson said. “Will follow up after the fact. He’s getting care and we’re pleased about that. In terms of what happens next, we won’t know until those investigations are fully completed.” Thomson confirmed the incident happened this week, but didn’t know how it happened or what drug was involved.
For the original version including any supplementary images or video, visit http://globalnews.ca/news/3714590/calgary-paramedic-falls-critically-ill-after-toxic-drug-exposure-during-call/